Looking at unmade Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror films and television…
Between 1987 and 2006 a number of attempts were made to continue or restart the Superman franchise.
- July – Superman VI: The Quest for Peace was released in cinemas. Underfunded and universally panned the film looked to some like the end of the series.
- Superman V was announced by Canon, using the 45min of unused footage from Superman VI.
- Canon Pictures went bankrupt and the rights to Superman reverted to Ilya and Alexander Salkind (Superman I – III & Supergirl.)
- A script was written called Superman: The New Movie or Superman: Reborn was written by 1992.
- Eventually Warner took back the rights to Superman and put them under the control of producer Jon Peters, with a script being submitted in December 1995 for Superman: Reborn. The script was well received, but Kevin Smith was hired to do a rewrite, but instead restarted for scratch.
- Superman Lives, Kevin Smith was submitted.
- Smith suggested Tim Burton as a director. Burton hated Smith’s script.
- Burton’s version of Superman Lives entered pre-production.
- Warner had two competing scripts for a new Superman film: Superman: Flyby by JJ Abrams and Batman vs Superman by Andrew Kevin Walker was submitted. Flyby was finally chosen.
- Brett Ratner was hired as director.
- March – Ratner left Flyby, to be replaced by McG.
- With Warner Bros insisting the film be made in Australia, McG’s fear of flying caused him to quit his version of Superman: Flyby.
- Bryan Singer was hired to replace McG, causing yet another new script to be written.
- June – Bryan Singer’s Superman Returns was released.