Looking at unmade Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror films and television…
Between Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (1987) and Superman Returns (2006) and between Batman & Robin (1997) and Batman Begins (2005) Warner looked at a number of solo films for both characters… but they also looked at a team up film for the duo.
- A new Superman film had been in shambles since the collapse of Tim Burton’s Superman Lives.
- After a number of attempts at a new Batman film, Darren Aronofsky was looking at doing a Batman: Year One film.
- In 2002, Andrew Kevin Walker came up with a script for a meeting between Batman and Superman.
- Akiva Goldsman (who wrote the previous Batman & Robin film) was asked to rewrite Walker’s script.
- There were discussions of Christian Bale in the Batman role and Josh Hartnett as Superman.
[See Akiva Goldsman’s script online]
- Batman’s retired and Robin, Alfred and Gordon are dead. A recently divorced Clark Kent is best man at Bruce Wayne’s wedding when the Joker kills the Bride on the honeymoon. Luthor frames Kent for the murder leading to a showdown between the heroes…
- In the same month that they received Goldsman’s Batman vs Superman script they also received JJ Abram’s Superman: Flyby script. Believing that two solo films offered more returns than a team-up they opted for Abram’s script.
- Akiva Goldman went on to work on the film I am Legend. In that film, as an in-joke at his expense in a background of a shot an ad for the film appears.
- Warner looked at further solo films, eventually leading to Batman Begins and Superman Returns.
- After the success of the Superman solo film Man of Steel, a follow-up film Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice was announced and will be released in 2016.